Tuesday 8 May 2012

Shiny shieldbug

The little Woundwort Shieldbug Eysarcoris venustissimus might easily pass unnoticed in your garden. It frequents native plants such as Enchanters nightshade, Herb Robert and, mainly Hedge Woundwort, where it lays its eggs and the nymphs develop. It can also complete its life cycle in the widely planted Lamb's Ears. On close up, it is a beautiful insect, iridescent bronze/green and white, heavily speckled with black dots. Today, I found the first mating pair of the year, 10 days after the first ones emerged from overwintering.




1 comment:

Fizzog said...

I have Woundwort Shieldbugs (Eysarcoris venustissimus) on my garden Herb Robert plants. I had noticed them mating and today I discovered eggs. I had been worrying about their chance of survival as I had not found any reference of them on Herb Robert, but thanks to your blog I am now not worrying anymore. So thank you!
Regards, Brian