Monday 22 March 2010

At close range

If a neighbour had casually seen me on my garden this morning, he or she could have rightly thought either that I was out of my mind or that I was practicing some tai-chi. But no, in one of the few sunny spells we had on an otherwise windy, cold morning, an Anthophora plumipes male stopped to sunbathe for a bit longer than usual. It is the longest time I have seen one of these fast high-pitched buzzing bees sitting still. The spot was quite near to the wall where I photographed the male in yesterday's post, possibly the same individual, but the background was much more interesting and I wanted to get a closer picture. Unfortunately, a barrier of lavenders, plum branches and primroses separated me from my subject, so I had to stretch and contort, while supporting myself with one hand on the mud, moving very slowly to take this photo one-handed. I just cannot hold it for a future post, as it is since now my favourite A. plumipes male photo. After a few minutes, the male started looking around nervously, flicking his antennae and, having warmed up, flew away.

3 comments:

Threadspider said...

As soon as the temperature warms up I intend to try and locate these in my garden this morning. Will let you know if I find one. Excellent photograph.

Africa Gomez said...

Thank you Threadspider! Let me know if you find them.

sharp green pencil said...

Hi from Val. This is the most beautiful little bee. I have yet to see one in the flesh .. wonderful photo!